My Review of REI Taku Jacket - Men's

REI

Taku is a great-looking jacket offering the ultimate in versatility: It's lightweight, windproof, waterproof, breathable and comfortable.

Great jacket as part of a system

Chris - Hiker and Camper Dallas, TX 4/6/2009

5 5

Gift: No

Fit: Feels true to size

Sleeve Length: Feels true to length

Chest Size: Feels true to size

Pros: Lightweight, Breathable, Windproof, Comfortable, Durable, Waterproof, Warm

Cons: Sleeve stays peeled apart, Hood is a bit klunky

Best Uses: Wet Weather, Casual Wear, Hiking and Camping, Cold Weather

Describe Yourself: Avid Adventurer

I have had this jacket for about 2 years. I live in Texas and don't need a big bulky parka. I wear a lot of fleece, but needed something for those wet and/or windy days. The price was right on this, so I picked it up. Now, I can layer this on top of my lightweight fleece to protect me from the wind and rain. It's nice enough that I can wear it out as well.

I took this on a trip to the Grand Tetons National Park where I spent 5 days on the trail. We went from temperatures around 70 F to 25 F. We hiked through a torrential downpour for one entire day and awoke the last day with 3 inches of snow on the tent. I took only this jacket, a mid-weight fleece and some REI mid weight thermals. I never got wet and stayed pretty warm considering the wind was blowing probably 30 mph, giving us wind chills in the single digits at 10,000 feet.

My two complaints are:
1.) The hood is a bit difficult to get to stay where you want it and keep out of your eyes. I found that if you flip the bill up on it, it will stay pretty well. A ball cap under the hood works pretty well, too.
2.) The rubber grippers on the sleeve straps peeled away from the velcro on both sleeves. A little Gorilla Glue fixed it right up.

Enjoy

In the Tetons at 10,680 feet in the Taku Jacket

thumbnail

: Picture of Product

()

Comments

Popular Posts