Giving Fly Fishing a whirl

I have recently decided to try Fly Fishing. Back in January, I had the opportunity to try it out while on a trip to Vancouver, BC. With the help of a good friend and our fishing guide, I learned some of the finer points of roll casting and the overhand cast. No pun intended, well ok, maybe it is, but I got hooked. I don't anticipate that I'll become an avid fly fisherman or heading out at every chance to the Lower Mountain Fork in McCurtain County Oklahoma, but I do plan on trying to catch dinner occasionally while camping and backpacking. I also don't foresee myself changing my name to FlyMan, either.

About two months ago, I purchased my first fly rod for my birthday gift. I picked up a 4-piece, 4 weight, 8'6" Wright&McGill rod off SteepAndCheap.com. I have paired it with an Orvis Battenkill reel. I'm planning on breaking it in on our family trip this summer to Colorado and Wyoming. I hear there are a few fish in Wyoming near Yellowstone, so wish me luck.

I'll let you know how it goes, but I'm looking forward to giving Fly Fishing a whirl.

Here's a short video of the Bull Trout I caught while in Vancouver. This was caught using a spincast reel, but I did get some lessons with the fly rod.



Here's a picture of the spot where we hiked in to go fishing at about 7am. There was about 3 feet of snow on the ground and it was snowing the whole time.

Comments

  1. Here at Marine City Hardware, we specialize in marine hardware products. We are all family and are all working together to bring our customers exactly what they need. Our motto is high quality, low prices, fast shipping and taking care of our customers. 
    https://marinecityhardware.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts