Review of Skout Trailbars

I was recently introduced to Skout Natural Foods and their line of 100% Organic Trailbars. I have tried 4 of the 5 varieties they offer, including Cherry + Vanilla, Chocolate + Peanut Butter, Blueberry + Almond and Apple + Cinnamon. They were all very tasty, but I think my favorites were the Cherry Vanilla and Apple + Cinnamon. Here are some of my thoughts on each, in the order in which I tried them.
  • Chocolate + Peanut Butter - This was almost like eating a brownie and was unlike any other Chocolate / Peanut Butter trail bar I've had. While most Chocolate / Peanut Butter trail bars are extremely sweet and/or very chewy, this was soft, moist, nutty with a lot of oats in it giving it a bit of chewability. These would be really good with ice cream.
  • Cherry + Vanilla - This was my favorite. There were generous sized pieces of organic dried cherries full of flavor and, as with the Chocolate + Peanut Butter, it was very moist. This didn't seem to be as oaty as the Chocolate + Peanut Butter.
  • Blueberry + Almond - This was moist as the rest, plus the great taste of blueberries with almond bits. I was thinking this was going to be my favorite because I really like blueberries. The bar I had didn't have a lot of blueberries in it like I was hoping. Dried blueberries are on the ingredients list, so I might have just gotten an unlucky bar. I'm going to give this one another try as it did have good flavor, I was just hoping for some more blueberries.
  • Apple + Cinnamon - This had a great flavor, almost like grandma's apple pie. I didn't notice as much dried fruit as the Cherry + Vanilla, but you could definitely taste the apples and cinnamon. It did seem to have a more nutty texture than the others, as I really noticed some good chunks of nuts. As with the Cherry + Vanilla, it was not as oaty as the Chocolate + Peanut Butter.
  • Chocolate + Coconut - This is the one I didn't try. I'm not a big fan of Coconut, so if anyone tries this one, feel free to post some comments.

Overall, I am very pleased with the quality and taste of the Skout Natural Trailbars. It's also good to know that they are made from 100% organic ingredients. The bars all include a full serving of fruit including dates, blueberries, apples and cherries sourced near where the bars are made in Oregon.

My only concerns with these bars would be getting the energy boost on the trail you need and how they will fare in the backpack. Because they are a very moist bar and have no coating, I am concerned that if you don't position them correctly in your pack they might turn into a bag full of clusters, but they would still be very edible. Also, will they be filling enough to push me through to my next campsite or my lunch break.

I would highly recommend picking up the some online or at a local store that carries Skout Natural products. The Trailbar Sampler is a great item which contains all 5 of their flavors.

Comments

Popular Posts