If you ever get the chance to observe these great creatures, consider yourself lucky. As we observed in this trip, most of these animals want nothing to do with humans and will run away knowing you are in the area. But, when in bear country, you must take the proper precautions.
- Carry bear spray - it's not a repellant an should only be used if the bear is actually charging
- Talk loudly and often when walking the trail (Blake and Dylan are our best defense with bears as they talk a lot and very loud)
- Keep in a group, don't get separated and stay on the trail as much as possible
- Protect your food from the animals to help protect the animals
- Be constantly vigilant about scanning the surroundings for bear markings, scat and food they like such as berries
- Check with Park Rangers about areas you will be in to see if there are bears reported in the area